Regular Board Meeting Highlights - February 5, 2019
February 5, 2019 - The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, February 5, 2019. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board approved the Monthly Financial Report for the period ending December 31, 2018. At the end of that report period, revenues year-to-date were $45.7 million and expenditures year-to-date were $44.8 million resulting in a surplus of $902,995.
- The Board received as information the School Resource Officer Report. Constable Gord Marshall was also on hand to answer questions about the program which is in its seventh year. The School Resource Officer Program historically has been a partnership between Parkland School Division, the Town of Stony Plain, the City of Spruce Grove, Parkland County and the R.C.M.P. All parties provide funding for a uniformed R.C.M.P. officer to act as a School Resource Officer (SRO) at both Parkland School Division high schools. The purpose of the SRO is not punitive, but rather to provide a direct connection between the community, the schools and the police. A new funding model is being explored with the announcement of Parkland County withdrawing its commitment to the program. For more, check out the School Resource Officer video.
- The Board received as information the Education Plan Progress Report as presented by Associate Superintendent Scott Johnston.
- The Board received as information a Funding Scenario report as presented by Associate Superintendent Scott McFadyen. The Board of Trustees directed administration to determine the impact of the following four funding scenarios on Parkland School Division:
- The Division incurs a 3% decrease in the budget, with no increase for the following three years.
- The Division incurs a 5% decrease in the budget, with no increase for the following three years.
- A hiring freeze is implemented for the next four years.
- No funding for enrolment growth is implemented for the next four years.
- The Board approved the memorandum to apply to the Minister of Education pursuant to Sections 113 and 114 of the School Act for the approval to appoint Shauna Boyce as Superintendent of Schools for Parkland School Division No.70 for a five (5) year term commencing on June 1st, 2019 to May 31st, 2024, and further; authorize and direct the Board Chair and Associate Superintendent of Corporate Supports and Services to execute an agreement with Shauna Boyce based on the parameters discussed at the PSD Tomorrow Committee held on December 18th upon receipt of written approval of the Minister of Education.
Next Regular Board Meeting will be held on March 5, 2019 at the Centre for Education at 9:30am.