Regular Board Meeting Highlights - November 5, 2019
November 5, 2019 - The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, November 5, 2019. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board received as information the 2019 - 2020 Budget Scenarios now that administration has had a chance to review impacts the recently announced Provincial Budget will have on Parkland School Division. Alberta Education funding in 2018-2019 was $127,138,363 and the expected funding for the current 2019-2020 fiscal year is $122,867,935. That’s a decrease of just over $4.2 million dollars or -3.35% although enrolment increased by 293 students or +2.6%. Once you factor overall expenses with overall revenue for 2019-2020, the budget shortfall is $3.7 million. The Board approved Scenario 2 which includes an $800,000 reduction in expenses and the remainder of the shortfall to be covered by operating expenses.
- The Board directed administration to explore alternative insurance providers and take appropriate action to procure viable coverage for Parkland School Division. The division also experienced an unexpected and significant increase to its insurance. As a member of Alberta School Boards Insurance Exchange (ASBIE), the division will be hit with a 274% increase in property insurance and an overall annual insurance increase of 150% or just over $1.3 million.
- The Board approved the Modular Plan recommendation that will be submitted to Alberta Education. The modular requests for consideration are:
- Millgrove School - 10 new replacement modulars
- École Meridian Heights School - 4 replacement modulars
- Prescott Learning Centre - 4 new modulars (includes 1 washroom unit)
- The Board approved postponing the completion and presentation of the school viability study for Seba Beach School until the Regular Meeting on December 17, 2019.
- The Board approved the revised Board Policy 10: Policy Formation and Review, as amended.
- The Board approved the appointing of Eric Cameron as the new Trustee representative for the Central Alberta Association of Municipal and School Employees (CAAMSE) Labour Relations Committee.
- The Board received as information the 2018-2019 Provincial Achievement Tests and Grade 12 Diploma Exam Results summary report.
- The Board received as information, a briefing report on bus ride times in the Division.
- The Board received as information, a briefing report on the logistics of the possibility to include Education Assistants to accompany students on specialized transport buses.